Monday 16 January 2012

Beats a morning in the office!

Woke up to glorious sunshine and a sharp frost, so instead of heading in to the office, I picked up the camera and headed down the Nunnery Lakes reserve instead.  Recently, a couple of Water Rails had been showing well along the river so over the weekend I had tried baiting the best areas, and in the process getting stunning views of these normally skulking birds.  Typically, today when the light was superb and I had my camera with me I didn't even see a rail, let alone photograph one!!  Oh well, something to keep trying for...

Even without the bonus of photographing the rails, it was still a glorious morning to be out with the camera slung over the shoulder.  There were a few good birds around, the drake Goldeneye was on E lake and the female Scaup was still on D Lake along with a Shelduck and adult Herring Gull, all local scarcities, and a few of the commoner birds like Coot and Greylag Geese did show well for a few photos.

male Shelduck

Coot

Greylag coming in to land


Happy with my morning wander round, I was sat at my desk a couple of hours later when we received news that a Short-eared Owl had been found down the Lakes.  Chairs were left spinning as me, Nick and Dawn rushed down to join John who had seen the bird.  After a short search, the owl flew up and showed well being mobbed before drifting off, a most unexpected but very welcome bonus and a Lakes tick for all present.

No comments:

Post a Comment