Friday 7 June 2013

Thrice Bittern

Having woken up early this morning, I decided to have a pre-work visit to Lakenheath.  I have to admit I wasn't in a desperate rush to get there, so as a consequence by the time I ambled up to the spot where the Savi's Warbler has been reeling, it had shut up for the day.  Still, it wasn't all bad, as I walked along the track 3 Bitterns flew into view and for the next few minutes circled overhead croaking at each other, with another couple of males not so much booming as heavy breathing in the reedbed.



The Red-footed Falcon that was showing so well last time I was here has become a lot more elusive following a skirmish with a Sparrowhawk and the Orioles are very quiet this year but a few Marsh Harriers, Barn Owl, distant Hobby, Cuckoo, Common Tern and at least 5 singing Cetti's Warblers around the reserve, it certainly is a fantastic place to spend a few hours before reality sets in and the office calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment