Thursday 18 September 2014

High as a Kite

The day started in a dull, misty Piethorne Valley on the edge of the south Pennines in Greater Manchester where a Shag had been present for the past week.  Normally, I wouldn't be too bothered about a species such as that, but before I moved the Norfolk, Piethorne Valley was my local patch for the previous 8 years and still holds a place of affection in my heart.  Thankfully, the Shag was still there, sitting along the water's edge along the dam before being disturbed by some workmen mowing the embankment and moved out onto the reservoir, but a fantastic patch tick nevertheless.


Following a three hour drive, I arrived in mid Wales at Gigrin Farm, just outside Rhayader, where I met up with Toni for an afternoon photographing the masses of Red Kites that are fed every afternoon.  Thankfully, by the time I arrived there the sun was shining and the kites certainly didn't disappoint with 350+ swarming around the area swooping in to pick up the discarded scraps.





1 comment:

  1. Hi
    I have just seen your last blog about the Red Kites at Gigrin Farm. You certainly got some great shots. I was there on the same day as you, the 18th, I was in the first photographic tower with my wife I presume you were one of the other photographers in the other tower. It's the second time I have been there and what a fantastic place it is, in fact I took so many pictures that I have just finished going through them, so hopefully it won't be the last time I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete